John has been a lawyer in private practice from 1974 to 1999 where he was a partner in a seven-lawyer Newmarket law firm, McChesney Rogers. From 1999 onwards, John has been involved in the municipal sector with the Towns of Newmarket, East Gwillimbury and Aurora – first as a lawyer and then as Chief Administrative Officer in East Gwillimbury and Aurora. John left the Town of Aurora in August 2008 and is now a senior associate at the Centre for Character Leadership.
John is active in his community, including election to the Town of Georgina Council four times, first as a Ward Councillor for two terms and then as Mayor for two terms. John has also been President of the York Region Law Association, Chair of the York Region District Health Council, York Region Abuse Program, and more recently, Chair of the United Way of York Region and Co-Chair of the Central Local Health Integration Network (LHIIN) Diversity and Inclusivity Advisory Group and then a Director of the Central LHIN. John is currently on the Board of York Region Children’s Aid Society, President of Haliburton Places For People and a member of the Town of Georgina Committee of Adjustment.
John’s professional extra-curricular activities include:
- Director, York Region Law Association, President 1979-1981 and 2001-2003
- Director, Community Legal Clinic of York Region 2003 to 2005
- Recipient, Law Society of Upper Canada Bicentennial Award of Merit, 1997
- Speaker, Spectrum Seminars, 1996, Telemedicine, 1995, Central Ontario Planners Conference, 1988, Ontario Professional Planners Institute Seminar on Retirement Communities, 1988, Insight Seminars on Municipal Concerns in New House Purchases, 1986
- Member of the Toronto Group, Commission on Planning and Development Reform in Ontario (Sewell Commission) 1992
- Student Representative for Ottawa at the Bar Admission Course, 1973-1974
- Founding Chair, University of Ottawa Student Legal Aid Society, 1970-1972